Mission and History
Each of us is a seed of God that is meant to grow into the likeness of God. Genesis Spiritual Life and Conference Center is a place where the seed can be nourished towards full maturity.
- God's love is present and active in all creation and in the lives of all persons; therefore all are related and sacred.
- Since creation is ongoing, each person has the capacity for awakening and healing, which can impact all levels of our global community.
- The warmth of human caring reveals the presence of a loving God. Our reflection on this experience can transform our lives by deepening our prayer and commitment to loving service to others.
- A welcoming and supportive community offers gifts of peace and hope in a hectic and materialistic world.
- Natural beauty and a reflective atmosphere invite a deeper awareness of the divine presence.
- Genesis Spiritual Life and Conference Center will have as its focus:
- Those who are striving for a more holistic life and deeper connection with self: God. and others;
- Those who are in need of welcome, nurturing, reflection, and support;
- Those who foster a world view that sees all people and creatures as part of one community;
- Those who serve others in pastoral ministries, health care, human services, education, and the arts;
- Those who are alienated from formal religion but are desiring to fulfill their spiritual yearnings and live a life of loving service, and
- Those who are marginalized in our communities.
Genesis Spiritual Life and Conference Center is committed to:
- Creating an atmosphere of hospitality which welcomes persons of all faiths, spiritual paths, and walks of life;
- Presenting programs that promote the experience of God's love for all creation, the healing and growth of body, mind, and spirit, and the relationship between individual, community, and Earth;
- Inviting resource persons and program leaders who share the values of Genesis Spiritual Life and Conference Center;
- Providing hospitality and hosting programs for those church, civic, and community groups seeking accommodations.
Genesis was founded in 1976 and continues its mission today with an open atmosphere of hospitality and inclusiveness welcoming persons of all faiths, spiritual paths, and backgrounds. Founded by the Sisters of Providence of Holyoke, MA whose mission dates back over 140 years as a transforming and healing presence in the community, the center has always promoted a climate of wellness through its programs, workshops and retreats.
Situated on the former Crane Estate in Westfield, the property once housed the Holy Child Guild administered by the Sisters of Providence from 1933 – 1975. Work began in 1975 to convert it to the spiritual life and conference center and one year later, it was formally opened. In 1990 the 7,000 foot carriage house underwent an extensive restoration and today includes meeting and conference facilities on the first floor and an art space, small ecology library and a mediation room on the second floor.